Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Self-Loathing Queer



What the fuck? You're a fag*,
Everybody knows that you're totally nelly!
What a queen! And you're not foolin' no one, not this time
You self-loathing queer.


Infectious, irreverent, and incredulous! This tune about a gay boy's tirade at seeing a compatriot engaged in hetero-hand-holding at the grocery store has been circling through my mental soundtrack for days and days, to the point that Amber has asked me to stop whistling it. It's a great track from Chicago's dearly departed grungy post-punk act Three Dollar Bill, founded by Jane Danger and Chris Piss, and active in the queer music scene in the late '90s and early Aughts. Nope, I've never spent time in Chi-town. But I happen to know Mr. Piss. Yes, that's his real name.**

I'm not certain, but this may be the first time I've blogged about an artist I know personally. Does it merit a new tag, I wonder...? And what would I call this tag?

Artist: Three Dollar Bill
Year: 1998
Rating: Luke Hot

Notes:
*I love that you can hear Chris's Upper Midwest accent when he says "fag." It almost rhymes with "keg" rather than "bag." It's one of my favorite regional accents in the States.
**No, it's not his real name.

No comments:

Post a Comment