Monday, January 23, 2012

2011 Review, Part 1: Artists, Eras, and Ratings

I've been doing this blog for three years running now, and if you know me at all, you know I love excessive navel-gazing documentation! Having said that, I present to you the summary of Songs in My Head, 2011 Edition!

Part One: Summary, Artists, Eras, and Ratings

Number of entries: Exactly 100, down about 30% from 2010.
First song blogged in 2011: Yesterday Once More by the Carpenters.
Last song blogged: Fading into Obscurity by Sloan.
Oldest song: The Washington Post March by John Philip Sousa from 1889.
Newest song: Modern Man by Arcade Fire from 2010 (another song from the same album was the newest song I'd blogged in 2010, as well. I haven't been listening to much new music lately.)
Unsolved Mystery: No one as yet has been able to identify this persistent song in my head.

Onward to the Stats!

Artists:
(Click charts to embiggen!)

Now that I have three years' worth of data, pie charts are out and stacked bar graphs are in for this category. It continues to surprise me that Sloan is still the clear leader of the pack, but otherwise, I've got a pretty typical mental repertoire for a now urban, once suburban, middle class white chick born in San Jose in the early Seventies. Likewise for the now patented formula for the era of songs that pop into my head:


...virtually the same curve all three years of blogging, complete with the Gumby-shaped dual-peak of '70s and '80s songs dominating my internal landscape of tunes.



And again, the songs that pop into my head, by a vast majority, tend to be songs I actually like, which is kind of awesome. It's also apparently in line with research on earworms or involuntary musical imagery (INMI): most people who get songs stuck in their head do, in fact, like the songs, despite the occasional appearance of a nasty worm like Who Let the Dogs Out?

A'ight, that's all I've got for now. Stay tuned to this here blog for more about the Genres and Whatnot of 2011!

xo
Sooze

4 comments:

  1. Charts! Graphs! I love it!! My nerdy self is all a-tingle. There does appear to be a method to your madness....which is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you like! :) I've really begun to embrace my inner dork of late.

    Click the "blogstats" tag for 2010 and 2009 review entries, as well! Also, 2009 has a handy glossary of terms for some of my more unusual categories, and I'll be posting those stats soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your analysis. i am a song-of-the-day (or every couple days) kinda person, too...

    ReplyDelete