Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Guy



Ah, the rich and lovely voice of Mary Wells doing a pop gem written by the prolific and terrific Smokey Robinson.

And for your further viewing/listening pleasure, I submit to you this version of the song performed by none other than Ms. Carrie Fisher, guest-starring on, you guessed it, Laverne & Shirley back in 1982. The show at this point shoulda been called "Laverne Sans Shirley" since Cindy Williams had long since defected from the show. In an absurd but decently funny turn, Laverne (Penny Marshall) and her new friend Kathy (Fisher) are trying out for none other than Hugh Hefner to be his new Bunnies.



Yep, this is the second song association with a L&S episode in the last month. I do want to pull back the curtain a bit here at The Songs in My Head and admit something to you, though. When I said that I'd bet some more Laverne & Shirley references would come to mind eventually, My Guy had already come and gone. Yes, that, my friends, is the artifice of writing about fleeting thoughts, particularly when the writing lags significantly behind the neuronic firings of the mind. I pulled one over on you, and I'm admitting my folly now. Any crestfallings are and will be totally my fault.

xo Sooze

Artist: Mary Wells
Year: 1964
Rating: Warmer than warm; not quite approaching hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment