Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Afternoon Delight by the Starland Vocal Band



Someone sang it at karaoke last Friday, and it's stuck, sadly. This cheese anthem by the Starland Vocal Band always spins me into a medley of awful '70s/early '80s ballads involving various times of day/night: "Sky rockets in flight, Afternoon Delight...Midnight at the Oasis...it's gonna be a Cool Night, just let me hold you by the fire light."

Year: 1976
Rating: Brrrr! I could use some "afternoon delight" to warm me to this song.

2 comments:

  1. Where did they hide the strings? And the electric guitarist with the mean phaser? Interesting fact: the Starland guy penned "Country Roads," as made famous by John Denver. Then he opened a restaurant that catered to septuagenarians in Emily's parent's neighborhood. He called it...wait for it...the Starland cafe. (I probably would never have eaten there if it was called "Afternoon Delight.")

    xxoo

    Marck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome trivia, Marck! Thanks for that. I just looked into it - I guess John Denver co-wrote "Take Me Home, Country Roads" with Starlanders Bill Danoff and Taffy Nivert (Danoff's wife). Now my association of you with John Denver is further solidified.

    ReplyDelete