Monday, February 1, 2010

Just Can't Get Enough



This is making the rounds in my head owing to a pal's Facebook update. Thanks, Gina! The song always reminds me of a personal anecdote going back about 20 years to Jewish youth group leadership camp in Starlight, Pennsylvania, the summer before my senior year of high school. It goes something like this:

It's the last night all of us will be together, and there's a dance going on in the rec hall. I'm not interested in dancing; I just want to stargaze and chat with friends out in the meadow. I'm talking to a guy that I've harbored a crush on for the last three or four weeks, which in the compressed intensity world of teenage summer camp, is an eternity. We're talking about a speaker we'd seen that afternoon, a local Democratic politician who was addressing the group about being a Jewish leader in the community. He was really dull, and I found myself dozing off during the lecture. I was conveying this to Jeffrey, the crush boy, that I'd been really bored with the speaker until, at some point during his talk, he came out to the group as gay, and then I really perked up and became fascinated with his story. (It was a matter of months before I'd make the conscious realization that I liked girls, as well as guys, but my political advocacy for LGBT folks preceded that awareness.) Jeffrey then relayed to me that he had been interested in what the guy was talking about until the moment he said he was gay, and that's when he started to tune out. In an instant, my summerlong desire for Jeffrey withered. All the while, "And I just can't get enough, and I just can't get enough" is wafting through the humid air from the rec hall.

Artist: Depeche Mode
Year: 1981
Rating: Luke Hot

No comments:

Post a Comment