Tuesday, April 6, 2010

(I Just) Died In Your Arms



Wow. While I appreciate the sentiment of equating death with orgasm and/or merger of Self-with-Other in the treacherous intimacy of love, I don't think this song merits a reading that deep. It's just a lock-step standard '80s pop-rock song. With none of the edgy appeal of new wave, its lyrics hark back to all the schmaltz of '70s love ballads dunked in a heavy dose of synth and cookie-cutter '80s guitar riffs.

Artist: Cutting Crew
Year: 1986
Rating: Cold + fondness for the catchy concept chorus = Lukewarm

Note: And oh, my word, what a perfectly corny fan video!

3 comments:

  1. Since you posted about this I've been lost in memories of a *band I was in that we oh, so, daringly named "Le Petit Mort". It's French for orgasm and literally means little death. Ripple effect.

    *We sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I never commented on this, Cat. Needless to say, I'd "die" to hear a recording of Le Petit Mort. Ahem. Your band, I mean. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was only ever one recording, (that I'm aware of), and it was destroyed years ago. The band never got around to doing that ;)

    ReplyDelete