Sunday, April 10, 2011

Popcorn



How many of you out there have ever come across this amazingly insidious little tune? I always thought it was a pure product of the early '80s; I had no idea it was a composition originally written on a Moog, going back to 1969! I came across the above version (the one in my head currently) when my friend Ramee introduced it, along with an infectiously awesome line dance, to our group at Jewish summer camp, probably in about 1982.

Here's the original by Gershon Kingsley:



Learn loads more about the song at the site dedicated to all things "Popcorn," Popcorn-Song.Com. Unfortunately, I can't find any info online about the choreography of the dance we learned in the '80s.

Artist (in my head): Hot Butter
Artist (original): Gershon Kingsley
Year: 1969, 1972
Rating: Luke Hot

3 comments:

  1. We had a piece in The Lab's 25th anniversary show that used a version of Popcorn as the soundtrack. (Incidentally, the piece was an homage to Orlan. I heard the music on an endless loop for a month while I worked. Fun times. A gallery goer told me that there have been international Popcorn festivals where dozens of bands have played versions of the song live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @M - awesome! Yeah, the song is really an international phenomenon. It's a shame I haven't heard it more in public spaces in the last 20 years. It would be fantastic to see multiple live versions!

    Re: Orlan: whoa! Seems like a great fit, actually. Maybe with a splash of Stereolab and My Bloody Valentine thrown in there!

    ReplyDelete