Monday, December 14, 2009

Orinoco Flow (Sail Away)



I blame Michael for this one. I almost didn't want to blog it, 'cause this will ensure that it stays in my head longer. But I will admit that the song in reality is far less irritating than my memory of it. It's certainly a representation of the Starbuckization of ambient music, but I can see why some people find it lovely.

Artist: Enya
Year: 1988
Rating: Cold

Note: The song also features a subtly clever reference to the music industry production process. The lyric "We can steer...with Rob Dickens at the wheel" is a reference to the WEA record label head at the time Enya was in the studio. Read about it here.

4 comments:

  1. Was there Starbucks in 1988? I definitely think of it as modern muzak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yeah, "modern muzak" is fitting too. Just looked up the Starbucks dates. It was founded in1971 surprisingly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually, that was kind of nice to hear at this moment. good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rahul! Glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete