Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Beans and Rice/Conjunction Junction

Let's hear it for '70s/early '80s multicultural educational videos! Artist: unknown Year: '70s/'80s? Rating: Luke Hot ...and a couple days later, this classic ditty came to mind. Brought to you by: School House Rock Artist: Terry Morel and Jack Sheldon Composer: Bob Dorough Year: 1973 Rating: Luke Hot Noteworthy: To date, my April, 2009, entry about the song Hanker for a Hunk of Cheese gets the most search hits to my blog. I guess Saturday morning PSAs are in a lot of our heads.

3 comments:

  1. Strange, I know Conjunction Junction so well I almost sound in tune when I sing it, but I don't recall Beans & Rice at all. No matter because now I have "I'm Just A Bill" floating around in my brain. ~Warm thoughts your way (no singing)~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh! I guess School House Rock made it to Canada and the other one didn't. It may have been just a local SF Bay Area thing. I can't find much info about it online.

    A note on singing in tune with songs you haven't heard for a long time: Dan Levitan, in his book This is Your Brain on Music confirms in his research that we all have the capacity to capture the key a song is in, and its tempo, and can often reproduce these aspects of a song when singing it from memory. It's fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother informed me that I had seen "Beans & Rice" and hated it as a child. Selective memory, I guess. (We only watched American TV on Saturdays, the Canadian content was abysmal for children.)
    P.S. I just ordered that book to add to my ever growing collection of things I'll forget to read.

    ReplyDelete