Friday, April 10, 2009

Hanker for a Hunk of Cheese/Interplanet Janet



Oh my god! "I hanker for a hunk of cheese" was the very first thing that arrived in my brain as I woke this morning. Why would an educational jingle from thirty years ago be in my immanent mental scope without obvious provocation? I don't even crave cheese at the moment.

Brought to you by: DePatie-Freleng Enterprises, ABC
Lyrics/Music: Lynn Ahrens
Voice: Lennie Weinrib
Year: 1977
Rating: Warm

This one then segued quite naturally into one of my favorite School House Rock songs, Interplanet Janet:



Honestly, watching this video and hearing the song again after so many years just gave me goosebumps right up to my head. "A solar system Ms. from a future world." I wonder if Gloria Steinem officially endorsed that lyric.

Brought to you by: School House Rock
Music/Lyrics: interestingly enough, Lynn Ahrens again!
Year: 1978
Rating: "The mercury on Mercury was much too high"

2 comments:

  1. Many thanks for this. Hysterical. I woke up with this song in my head today, and went looking for lyrics and found your blog.

    Humor. Makes life worth living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cant Sit Still: I'm sorry I never responded to your comment here. I'm so glad you appreciated this post. In fact, this entry is consistently THE most popular in searches that reach my blog. As of today, this page has gotten 1,200 hits, fully 700 more than the next most popular entry. Crazy how resonant that lil guy and his wagon wheel are, right?

    ReplyDelete