Sunday, April 12, 2009

Repeat Loops

Three recent head-songs are replaying this morning. Woke up with the Entertainment Tonight theme again; then a repetitive medley of Zeppelin's Immigrant Song leading into Closer by Nine Inch Nails.

As I progress with this project, I'm finding that the songs manifesting in my head are certainly influenced by blogging about them. A song that would perhaps have been long gone into the unconscious reaches might resurface again and again just from writing about it or re-reading one of my entries. I'm also noticing that I have a slightly anxious anticipation upon waking, in an active wondering of what song might surface. This has possibly "pushed" songs to consciousness that otherwise wouldn't have arrived; some of them due to having blogged about them already, some due to recent exposure from actually hearing the song played. I'm attempting to dismiss songs that feel "forced" upon waking, and opting to blog about the songs that seem to float in more organically if possible.

Also, only two more days to vote for your favorite Geo-Band! Do it now! And if anyone out there has an idea about what the next poll should be, please leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I was skeptical of this blog at first, or at least of my potential interest in it. But I have really come to see the beauty of it and now am addicted. I always love a project driven by a very narrow and specific prescription because, among other reasons, it is always so fascinating to see what kind of variation and pattern emerges from the set formula. Reading about how the medium is now also affecting the process in this interesting wag-the-dog way only adds to the fascination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Mag, you have rapidly become my target audience in a number of ways. Let's count them:

    1. Impeccable popculture sensibilites and cheese-appreciation tempered by...

    2. A robust critique of social and political dynamics that allow you/us to find meaning even when there may not be any intended.

    3. A high tolerance for meta-bloggic internal monologue and commentary that most sane people would normally consider to be too myopic for anyone's ears but their own.

    I appreciate your appreciation of this particular entry because, on that last count, I figured no one would want to read an entry devoted to a redundancy of very mainstream songs that happen to be rattling in my brain (again), much less care about the particularities that go into the creation of this somewhat "authentic"/ somewhat "manufactured" creation of mine. But of course, you are interested, and for that I am grateful. I'm sure there will be more meta commentary like this to come.

    ReplyDelete