Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)



Just the other evening, I was hanging out with my friend Michael, and he decried people who compare any female indie singer to Björk or Kate Bush. Though it pains me to fall into a cliché, I actually think the comparison to Ms. Bush is apt with Régine Chassagne's vocal performance here. I'm really loving Arcade Fire's The Suburbs, particularly their ability to weave an album concept so skillfully through lyrics and mood.

Artist: Arcade Fire
Year: 2010
Rating: Hot!

Note: This song is now the most recent release I've blogged about, inching out 2009's No You Girls.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, love that song, but she so does NOT sound like Kate Bush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sprawl II is pure Abba. I thought she had a Bjorkish feel on earlier albums. And how about that Cocteau Twinsesque track? Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Barry - noted.
    @Ube - I hadn't thought about it as an ABBA sound. I think you're onto something. Also funny, I was still whistling it this morning, and when I went into the bathroom, our downstairs neighbor was playing "Dancing Queen!" :)

    ReplyDelete