Friday, November 5, 2010

Under Pressure



In my humble, this is one of the best songs of all time. Such complete passion, extemporaneous collaboration, such a strong message of love and so subversively queer-positive. Breaks my heart every time I hear it, thinking about Mr. Mercury's untimely death to AIDS/HIV.

I've heard it in a bunch of different contexts over the last couple months. I even saw this music video for it for the first time ever when visiting my friend Scott in San Diego in August. Also, naturally, heard a local guy belting out the Vanilla Ice riff on it recently at the Mint (does he still contend that he didn't steal the legendary bass line for that song?) Then I saw the Glee rendition of the Ice tune on DVD. And then I finally woke up with "Under Pressure," thankfully not "Ice Ice Baby," in my head.

Artist: David Bowie and Queen
Year: 1981
Rating: Hot!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this is a great song. (I also love its underappreciated source, "Hot Space".) I saw Queen perform it live in 1992. They were at the nadir of their popularity then, and they were the opening act for ... Billy Squier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out Hot Space!

    ReplyDelete