Thursday, March 19, 2009

Angel of the Morning, various artists



Despite wanting to rid my head of sappy pop ballads, there's been no controlling it over the last several days; they just keep seeping into consciousness, so I'm letting it flow. Angel of the Morning has been performed by a ton of artists, but I'm reasonably certain it's the The Juice Newton version (above) that I grew up with. This song came up a couple weeks ago w/ Scott, so I'm sure that's why it's cycling at the moment.

Year: 1981
Rating: Luke Hot



This was the first charting version in the U.S., by Merrillee Rush in 1968. I love the sad horn part, but the vocals are sort of a bland Nico with backup singers.

Year: 1968
Rating: Warm



P.P. Arnold's version is a great soul vocal, and charted in the U.K. in the same year as the Merrillee Rush version.

Year: 1968
Rating: Luke Hot



And of course, Chrissie Hynde on Friends! The song starts at about 1:37, but the whole episode is sort of edited down to the seven minute clip here, which is amusing if you've some time.

Year: 1995
Rating: Luke Hot

There's also a fantastic gothy-gay version from the '90s by performance artist Robbie D. which I used to own but can't locate for you at the moment. If I find it in the future, I'll certainly post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment