Thursday, March 26, 2009

Perfect Way by Scritti Politti/Digging Your Scene by the Blow Monkeys



Two songs have been entering consciousness the last few nights just as I hit the pillow in a melange of mid-eighties madness.

This one by Scritti Politti blends a rather sophisticated lyric which is by turns Lacanian and Derridean...

I don't have a purpose or mission
I'm empty by definition
I got a lack girl that you'd love to be


...into the most commercial, poppiest musical composition. Most of the song seems more a stream of consciousness, alliterative mish-mosh, but lyricist Green Gartside throws in the deconstructionist rhetoric whenever he gets a chance. Bully for him!

Year: 1985
Rating: Warm
Note: Do you like the anime? Couldn't find another video for it, but this is kinda fun!



This one by the Blow Monkeys (awful band name!) is cute, but way simpler (and whinier) lyrics

Tell me why is it I'm digging your scene
I know I'll die baby.


Year: 1986
Rating: Warm

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm lukewarm on "perfect way" but looooooove "digging your scene!" the nasal singing, the sax.. love it!

    ReplyDelete