Sunday, June 21, 2009

Everyday I Write the Book



This is one of the songs that's inordinately in my head, but hasn't appeared in the wee morning hours in the last few months, and therefore has been disqualified from entry into the blog, til now. It's one of my favorite songs of all time, from one of my favorite artists, and it often materializes in my mind after I've been whistling a composition of my own making, a melody that is a near-daily companion to me, that Amber has heard me whistle dozens, scores, of times, that no one else is quite privy to. Maybe at some point I'll be able to record it and get my resident musicologist, Jon Schwartz, to put it into musical notation for you, but for now, this tune remains enigmatic. Anyway, it ends up rolling right into the melody of Everyday I Write the Book. This Costello tune is a welcome comrade in my daily goings-about-life.

The other association I have with this song is that my sister Jodi and I have a long-standing in-joke/intention/fantasy of writing a book about all the idiosyncratic family history and ephemera, and this song is sort of an ode in my mind to that perennially-delayed project. Shout out to Johd! Every day, we write the book.

Artist: Elvis Costello
Year: 1983
Rating: Hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment