Wednesday, June 10, 2009

You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine



Mmm, but Lou Rawls had one of the finest voices in popular music. This is one of the most indelible songs from my growing up years, such a perfect, soulful pop song. We all know by now that I'm not a big fan of the possessive sentiment in such cocksure lyrics as

You'll never find, it'll take the end of all time,
Someone to understand you like I do


...but who hasn't felt the grip of possession in the face of losing love? I've always thought of this song as the consummate male counterpoint to the powerful female perspective of the ultimate rise-like-a-Phoenix disco anthem I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor. He thinks she'll never survive without him, and she thinks differently.

Thanks for the music, Lou.

Artist: Lou Rawls
Year: 1976
Rating: Hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment