Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lay Lady Lay



A cool thing happened today. I woke with this song in my head, and didn't give it too much attention, 'cause it's never been one of my favorite Dylan tunes. I've always thought that the invitation "lay across my big brass bed" was sort of crass and bumptious. But then when I took my bike in for a tune-up today, the song was playing loud and clear on the bike shop's sound system. I thought it a sign to pay closer attention, and I realized that the sentiment is sort of close to the bone at the moment.

Why wait any longer for the world to begin
You can have your cake and eat it too
Why wait any longer for the one you love
When he's standing in front of you


While the word "love" is a bit too potent yet for the situation I'm reflecting on, this "seize the day" message nevertheless hits the spot. You really can have your cake and eat it too, you know?

Artist: Bob Dylan
Year: 1969
Rating: Warm

No comments:

Post a Comment