Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Infernal Gallop

My dear friend Buffy, whom I've known since the sixth grade, musical era of Thriller and Madonna's first album, has cracked the case of the mystery classical song rather brilliantly. From the rudimentary schematic of musical notes I offered in that entry, Buffy deduced, correctly, that the song was a 19th Century composition by Jacques Offenbach from his operetta Orpheus in the Underworld. I imagine many of us know it as a song that Bugs Bunny can-canned to. The part that was in my head starts at 1:28.

 

Here's the comment thread from my Facebook page in which the revelation was made: 

 
Lisa

What instrument(s) are playing? If you want to call and sing it in to my cell phone I might be able to figure it out :)


about an hour ago
·
 

Buffy
I know exactly what song you're talking about (great description btw!). Now am checking my Looney Tunes dvd to hear the rest and figure out who/what it is....
44 minutes ago · 

Buffy
Hmmmmm... wasn't on the episode I thought it was on. Pretty sure it's all strings. Vivaldi maybe? I'll keep lookin'
34 minutes ago ·
 
Jon ahhh i know exactly what you're talking about too but i don't know what or who it is. you're definitely right about strings.
28 minutes ago ·
Buffy
Phew! Found it: The composer is Jacques Levy Offenbach. The song is "Infernal Gallup" from the opera Orpheus in the Underworld
21 minutes ago ·
Jon
wow nice work.
17 minutes ago ·

Buffy
Thanks! Had to figure it out before it drove me crazy too! :) Now if I can only find a job that will pay me for my superb research skills... lol
15 minutes ago ·
Sooze Buffy - pure genius!! That's totally it! I'll post a follow up. Wow, y'all got it quicker than I thought you would. Any chance we could reproduce this conversation in the comments on the blog?
11 minutes ago ·

Buffy
Can't ya copy/paste it? ;)

Hmm...I can do that! Just another one of Buffy's brillllliant ideas! Thanks, Buff!
Artist: Jacques Offenbach
Year: 1858
Rating: Warm

2 comments: