Friday, October 23, 2009

The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight



Given that R.E.M. is one of my all-time favorite bands, it's surprising they've only made it into my head three times since the start of this project; this is the second R.E.M. song to come 'round in a week's time. In fact, it's been ringing in my head for days, ever since Barry and I listened to it on his ipod shuffle while on the road between Durham and D.C. last week. It's such a catchy, fun, inexplicable song amidst Automatic for the People's more down-tempo, reflective tracks. As usual, I'm happy to recommend the Pop Songs review for another perspective.

Artist: R.E.M.
Year: 1992
Rating: Warm

Noteworthy: The Zep's John Paul Jones arranged the string section.

2 comments:

  1. another watery-eye memory song. conjures a wandering in search of the sf moma, guess another lifetime ago (anymore). love this weird sweet fun sad song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bittersweet is an emotion I'm fond of, in my experience and in music, for sure.

    ReplyDelete