Friday, October 9, 2009

Sweet Jane



Dating myself here as the youngin' that I am (though, at 37, approaching "middle age" I suppose), but the Cowboy Junkies' sumptuous cover of this amazing Velvet Underground song was the first one I heard, in the early '90s, when a dear friend put it on a mixed tape for me. It wasn't til a few years later that I started listening to, and loving, the Velvet Underground, when my roommate at UC Santa Cruz would play their self-titled album from 1969 nonstop.

Artist: Cowboy Junkies
Year: 1988
Rating: Hot!



There are a lot of versions of this song performed by Velvet Underground and Lou Reed solo. I present this one, 'cause it's got the "heavenly wine and roses" bridge that Cowboy Junkies included in their cover, and I love it.

Artist: The Velvet Underground
Year: 1970
Rating: Hot!

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing The Cowboy Junkies at a bar in Toronto when you were about sixteen, youngin'. The crowd became quiet as "Sweet Jane" started and at a pause some drunk dude screamed "Show me your tits."
    At that moment I knew I never could never be in a band without racking up assault charges.

    ReplyDelete