Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Don't Like Mondays by the Boomtown Rats



I've always adored the sound and aesthetic of this specific early punk and emergent new wave period of about 1976 to 1980. The Boomtown Rats, an Irish band with both political and commercial sensibilities, exemplifies this feel. See also The Modern Lovers, Blondie, Talking Heads, and The Knack.

This dark but dramatically humorous song was written by band leader Bob Geldof in response to a San Diego elementary school shooting by 16 year-old Brenda Ann Spencer, who explained the spree by saying "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day."

Anyway, it's in my head 'cause I sang it at karaoke the same day of the Round and Round episode. I did a passable job, I think.

Year: 1979
Rating: Hot!
Noteworthy: Today is a Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment