Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Prune Song by Frank Crumit and Harry DeCosta



An old Camp song based on this tune came into my head, and in researching it online, I discovered that it goes all the way back to 1928, written by Frank Crumit and Harry DeCosta. If you view the song at YouTube you can see the full lyrics - it's a real treat. My favorite verse is:

Prohibition worries us
But prunes don't sit and brood
For no matter how young a prune may be
It's always getting stewed


We ended the song with that last couplet in the version we sang at Camp, but it took several years of singing it throughout my childhood before I figured out that "stewed" was a euphemism for "drunk." Once I put that together, I loved the song even more.

Year: 1928
Rating: Warm (very)

No comments:

Post a Comment