Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mad About You by Belinda Carlisle



This song came into my head, no doubt, because I'd looked into Amber's eyes last night and said, "Baby, I'm mad about you." Cooing and smooching ensued.

While I much prefer her Go-Go's era, I am genuinely fond of this Belinda Carlisle solo song. On listening now, I realize it's some mediocre pop, but back in the '80s, I surprised even myself by admitting to Barry on some extended teenage phone chat that I actually liked it. Her other big solo hit from her second album without the band is squarely in late-'80s diva territory, in which I can't hang.

Year: 1986
Rating: Warm

2 comments:

  1. I dunno, I kind of like "Heaven Is a Place on Earth." It has a honeyed sheen that reminds me of one of my favorite Go-Go's moments: the "Hush my darling..." part of "Our Lips Are Sealed." It also has a wacky video directed by Diane Keaton.

    And don't forget "Circle in the Sand," about which All Music's Alex Henderson writes: "'Circle in the Sand' is in fact a gem -- a haunting Shangri-Las-like song with an early-to-mid-'60s-ish quality that makes you wish you were back in the Summer of '64 on your way to the beach."

    Incidentally, I thought this -- also from All Music -- was pretty funny: "Carlisle refashioned herself as an inoffensive mainstream pop singer." Striving for bland. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valid take, Michael. And I had no idea that Diane Keaton directed any videos, let alone one by "Bindy."

    I never explored any of her solo albums, so've never heard "Circle." But I'm sure the allmusic review is accurate; I tend to like their write-ups. Sounds cute!

    >refashioned herself as an inoffensive mainstream pop singer

    --->dream big!

    ReplyDelete