Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sometimes When We Touch by Dan Hill



Oh, the catchiness and schmaltziness of this song, very indicative of the '70s mellow hits that are constantly on rotation in my mental soundtrack. But though this song is musically so broad that it almost becomes its own Musak version, the lyrics and theme are quite emotionally arresting. Take the opening lines for example:

You ask me if I love you, and I choke on my reply/
I'd rather hurt you honestly than mislead you with a lie.


The song goes on to explore the conflicts that emerge over time in a relationship, as lovers weave between the bliss and terror of real intimacy. So, hats off to you, Dan Hill, wherever you are. You've given us a gem of a pop song, both commercially perfect for its time, and lyrically resonant even now.

Year: 1977
Rating: Warm

No comments:

Post a Comment