Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Wanna Be Loved By You by Marilyn Monroe



This classic American ditty was written by Stothart, Ruby, and Kalmar in 1928. I guess this is an appropriate song for Valentine's Day, though it's not a song, nor a holiday, that I care much for. The melody is snappy, but the words are about as sappy as you can get, and dare I say the message:

I couldn't aspire to anything higher/
Than, filled with desire, to make you my own.


leaves a lot to be desired, particularly for the woman who can't "aspire to anything higher" than snagging her man. Seeing Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in drag in the background of this clip is pretty great, though. I've never seen Some Like it Hot - is it any good?

Year (original): 1928
Year (Monroe): 1959
Rating: Lukewarm

2 comments:

  1. I saw this movie when I was a kid. From what I remember, it was good, and I remember the closing scene. It was basically the precursor to Bosom Buddies, except the dudes were hiding from the mob, not looking for a cheap apartment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what's wrong with one's highest aspiration being love? :) Besides, it's a great lie to snag a man, har har. ;)

    ReplyDelete